Pages

August 10, 2010

Downs and ups

It was tough to admit.

Doug lacked to have fainted when I copped to him.

I never thought I'd feel this way.

I -- um -- well -- I miss Bowling Green.

Only on Saturday morning, I swear! Specifically, I miss my old farmer's market. Something awful. My weekly jaunt to the hospital parking lot brought me such joy. I saw classmates and teachers from WKU -- even bought stuff from a few of them! I built relationships with local farmers. I even got to listen to a family bluegrass band from time to time. I looked forward to the market. Couldn't wait for Saturdays. Felt a little lost when fall arrived and I got stuck with Kroger.

It's not like that here. I have a choice between two markets and both leave something to be desired.

If I want better selection, I go to Marietta. It's my worst nightmare. Instead of being spread across a spacious parking lot, it's crammed into a single block of a single street. It's worse than Walmart at Christmastime.

Y'all know how I feel about crowds.

Smyrna is a nicer experience. Baptist church parking lot, same vendors every week -- it has a lot of the qualities I loved about Bowling Green. But it's teeny. Two stalls of vegetables. Two. Also, you have to be there before 9:30 a.m. if you're gonna get eggs. Ugh.

Also... well I don't know this for sure, but I have a suspicion I'm not seeing actual producers. I hear tell one of the biggest farmer's markets in the world is in the city. And that most suburban vendors go there first, then set up stalls elsewhere to resell. I know that's the story in Marietta. And it seems to be the case in Smyrna too.

This is not what I got into the farmer's market scene for. One of the problems with reselling is the markup. Back in Kentucky, I used to laugh at the suckers paying outrageous money for Chilean produce at Kroger. Not around here. Half the time the vegetables are more expensive than the grocery store. I have to poke and pick to find actual producers selling their own stuff.

So I miss Bowling Green...

Until later that day, when I realized I had ten stores to visit in search of new work clothes. TEN! As opposed to the showstopping two stores to check out in Bowling Green. You give and you take, right? More to come on my buying binge, over at AKoP.

How was your weekend?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog lurkers bum me out. Speak your mind, s'il vous plait.